Contemporary Drawing: Transformation Drawings

 

Transformation Drawings



Prepped Transformation Drawing



Transformation #1 & Detail

For this transformation I wanted to contrast the initial softness of my prep wash. I used flowing motions for the wash and light colors so to transform I used a compressed charcoal stick and rigid lines. I alternated with using the point and the side of the sick. Intuitively making lines across the surface attempting to cover as much as I could.




Transformation #2 & Detail

Next, I decided to cut up the paper and change its silhouette to a smaller piece with more physical depth by layering the cut pieces. I payed attention to the original lines of the paper itself and the charcoal lines I did for transformation #1, placing each piece with notice to line directions.  After they were all taped I took a soft blue gray wash and tried to blend out some of the charcoal lines. I felt it was lacking something and made a brush stroke I likes so I chose to add more across the piece.



Transformation #3 & Detail

For the third transformation I deconstructed the individual pieces and re-assembled them. Once again changing its contour line, this time as a long vertical piece which I enjoyed. I then gessoed the whole thing which blended into a gray color and went over again once dry to have lighter values as well. Finally, I tried to tape down all pieces to not have any of the previous charcoal or color to show through but because of rolling it up to transport it some unstuck and I ended up enjoying the slivers of the previous transformations showing through.



Transformation #4 & Detail

Once again, I deconstructed the individual pieces and put them back together. This time I did rip some into smaller pieces so their individual shapes changed too. I liked how the previous transformation's colors were complimenting each other so I didn't change that aspect but wanted to change the surface texture. I achieved the look I liked by crumpling the paper around my hands or twisting it and shaping it to fit different areas on the strips of backing paper I was using from before. I hot glued my crumpled pieces as I went and just adapted to the changing lines and value.




Transformation #5 & Detail

The final transformation, I wanted it to be quite different than all the previous by taking it from something that would sit on the wall to something that sits in 3D space. I thought about changing the color drastically but was unable and I'm glad I didn't because it still has a connection to the previous pieces through tone and hue. I also kept a similar process because I took apart the previous piece and ripped the paper into similar sized pieces as I hot glued it into a mound, finishing it off with silver spray paint. I wanted to emphasize form, mass, and volume of the paper in a different way and I'm very happy with the results of these transformation drawings. <3





Comments

Popular Posts