Contemporary Drawing: Quick Challenges

 

Quick Challenges



Cardboard: All Pieces & 2 best pieces



Thread: All pieces & 3 best pieces



 

Erase: All Pieces & 2 best pieces




Holes: All pieces & 3 best pieces




Print with Objects: All Pieces & 2 best pieces



Science: All pieces & the best piece




Transparent Layers: All Pieces & the best piece










Respond to Existing Marks # 1, 2, & 3






Shadows # 1, 2, & 3




Spatial Tape #1





Lay it all out # 1, 2, & 3




Final Collection




Reflection Statement:

During the creation of these quick challenges I used various forms of 'drawing' that I wouldn't typically use. My intent in creating these pieces was to take the word challenge seriously and challenge my typical materials, motivations, and methods. Although slipping back into a comfort zone is quite easy when approached with new or changing rules or requirements, I believe throughout the challenges I tried my best to break out of that comfort zone. For example, chewing on a piece of cardboard then tracing my bite marks is something I had never thought could be used in creating a visual piece of art. Taking away my typical thought of a piece I do, having to "be" something or of something and letting the material or process be the main thought in my head. After doing these challenges, I want to continue to explore making drawings this way, giving myself an assignment or a material or a special rule or system for creating something, especially when I'm feeling a lack of creative energy or excitement about making things. 




Comments

Popular Posts